Friday, December 30, 2011

Review of Robot Dreams, a graphic novel of little words...

Originally written August 18, 2007 


This is a fantastic book that is able to say volumes without really using words. I kept track of how many words of "dialog" are used in this book, and I think I counted about... 5? Well, let me explain. This is a comic book, so it can get away with not having words.

Robot Dreams (by Sara Varon) is a wonderful comic about a dog and a robot who form a friendship, but through a brief tragic event of the robot becoming rusted and immobile after a swim at the beach, they must go their separate ways. Throughout the rest of the book, both try to find new friends to fill the emptiness left behind, but yet can't replace or forget the other. The robot, stuck on the beach in the sand, dreams of fantastic lands and places where he meets new people; but can't quite forget his friend the dog. It's a wonderful tale of friendship and memories, and how people can leave lasting impressions on us. It also reminds me of that proverb/saying: Friends can be in your life for a moment: in your life for a specific purpose, then leave once that event is done; they can be for a season: lasting a little longer in your life, longer than one event, but they too fade out but still remain in touch; and friends can also be for a lifetime: those people in your life who dramatically affect/change your life and remain a constant for the rest of it. [I hope that made sense]

So go find this book, even if you're not really a comic person. I think Robot Dreams will change your mind. I give Robot Dreams a high 8.5 on my scale of rating. It's a beautiful and simplistic book that allows you to travel and dream along with the characters. I really hope you go out and pick it up, you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment