Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My Dangerous Pleasure Review

My Dangerous Pleasure – ARC Copy
Carolyn Jewel

I received this ARC copy of My Dangerous Pleasure from Carolyn Jewel earlier this year with the intention to read it and write up a little review. Sadly most of my 2011 was spent planning my wedding (which happened back in September), so I was unable to read in one shot and when I had finished it, it took me a few more months to finally get around to reviewing it.

So, with many apologies for the lateness to Ms. Jewel, here is my review of her latest paranormal romance.

My Dangerous Pleasure is the fourth in Jewel’s My Immortals series, and it definitely earns a spot in this series amongst its predecessors. This tale focuses around a human female, Paisley, and a demon male, Iskander. Right from the first chapter there is action and intrigue. Paisley is partially possessed by a wizard who transfers some of his magic into her when he comes to get a cake from Paisley’s bakery. Then enter Iskander, a sexy demon who also happens to be Paisley’s landlord. He senses something is wrong with the magic around his house and comes to her rescue. The two become an unlikely pair as they try to figure out why the wizard is targeting Paisley. And just to complicate things, the wizard is somehow connected to Fen, a female demon that Iskander used to be involved with.

Throughout the progression of the plot there is a healthy dose of action and sexual tension between the human and demon to keep the story moving. Since the book is part of a series, other characters from the previous books make appearances. Thankfully Jewel gives quick background into why those characters are important when they are introduced. This was helpful for me since it has been a while since I read the first three, so I needed a little refresher to the other players. The pacing of the events in the book were well thought out and kept me drawn to the characters. Action scenes are well written and the descriptions kept you turning the pages to see what happens next. One scene that stands out for me is the one in the coffee shop with Paisley, Iskander and Fen; the description of the magic use in that scene was spine-chilling and mesmerizing. After I was done with that part, I was left shaken.

I highly recommend My Dangerous Pleasure, as well as the other books in this fabulous series. Just because it is in a series doesn’t mean you have to read them in order—it is not overtly marked on the covers there’s a numerical order to the books—so you can feel free to read this one then pick up the others, given the mention of clarifying the characters from previous books. If you love your romance paranormal, and your demons super sexy with a heart and your damsels hard on the outside with a soft side, then this book and series is for you.

On my scale of 1 (hari kari) to 10 (literary orgasmic bliss), I give this book an 8. 

No comments:

Post a Comment